Tuesday 26 January 2010

Tuesday, 26th January 2010. Today, Newton's Inverse Square Law

I have been trying to battle with Newton's Inverse Square Law, don't ask me why, I don't know myself, but I just need to know.

I have learnt that if two objects attract each other with a gravitational force of 16 units, and the distance between the two objects is then doubled, to get the new force of attraction which would, naturally, be less, you must square the doubling which is 4, then inverse it which is 1/4, so the new force of attraction is a quarter of 16 which is 4.

How Newton worked that one out from an apple bashing him on the head as he lay under a tree is beyond me. I once had a large tom cat land on my head as I lay under a tree and all I discovered was that it hurt. If I'd been Isaac Newton though I'd have have probably calculated the moggy's weight from the gravitational force that it hit me. Instead, I experimented with centrifugal force, spinning it round by its tail then releasing it at high speed back to our neighbour's garden where it belonged, except that it overshot the mark by several fences.


It proved to be a scientific experiment of sorts though because, according to next-door-but one, as it passed overhead its meow was a clear example of the doppler effect. Quite satisfying to a nerd like me in my constant quest for scientific knowledge. It would be just my luck to die just when I'd got the hang of it all.