Thursday 21 January 2010

Say No to the Common Market!


Cutting edge news this is not, but this is a picture of a meaningful poster I have kept since the referendum of 1975. The year when the British public blew the chance to break free from Europe. Sob. Very nice people individually, I hasten to add, and even en masse, but not good to work with, i.e. quite good at making rules (which we keep) but no good at abiding by them.

In the run-up to the referendum of 5th June 1975, my Common-Market-loving husband was aborad on business so I took the chance to display this red poster and another blue one (that I still have and I am open to offers to buy either) in our front windows. When he returned from his trip he was not best pleased and it is a miracle that both posters were not immediately torn into shreds, as well as his hair (which he had in abundance then). I don't really remember, but I guess I must have invited him upstairs, nudge nudge wink wink, and whilst he was shedding his trousers and his brief case, carefully crept down to remove the posters, managing to stash them away for this blog thirty-five years on! What a lost opportunity that referendum was though. Sob again.