Sunday 13 November 2011

Reading on a Kindle

If you ask somebody who does not own a Kindle if they own one they will often recoil in horror saying 'Oh no! I'm a traditionalist, I enjoy holding a book, turning the pages, I love the smell of it, the feel of it, etc. etc..' And six months ago I would have said the same, or words to that effect. But then I tried to read a book that was so big and heavy that my thumb joints rebelled by inflicting intense pain, and reading in bed was impossible without a crane. 


Then I saw an ad for the new small lightweight Kindle and took a chance and bought one. Oh and what joy! What bliss! I've always enjoyed reading but the difference between reading on a Kindle and reading from a book is like the difference between eating stale bread and a freshly-baked loaf, or having dull sex that lasts three minutes and, well let's just say, the opposite!


And unlike the computer, there is no glare from the screen. It looks like ordinary paper printed with ordinary ink but I know the ink isn't ordinary: it is magic. Magic electronic ink that flips into the shape of letters at the drop of a binary digit. 


It was a pleasure editing my novel THE SEA WITH DIAMONDS on the Kindle and now that is published and selling well I am free to download other books. At the moment I'm reading THE HELP, a truly wonderful book.  


All in all, I love my new Kindle and, to my surprise, I think I love it even more than my books. And that's saying something!