Sunday 12 December 2010

Perm and eye op

 Since writing my last blog I have had a major eye operation and a perm. Both, so far, successful. The perm has given life and body to my still-brown-though-slightly-silvering locks in a modern kinky kind of way. The eye operation has given me a new lens and an eye-ball filled with salt water instead of the more traditional vitreous jelly which has been removed. When I asked if I could have the vitreous jelly to take home with me, a look of horror, if not revulsion crossed the consultant's face (and, in fact, the faces of everyone to whom I've revealed my jelly request) and he told me that the jelly was like transparent egg white and, as it is sucked out, the replacement salt water is squirted in. He used a differnt word from 'squirted' but you know what I mean. Could have fooled me it was like transparent egg white. More like frogspawn tangled up in fishing nets from my perspective. I've had to look through the stuff all my life and would have liked the chance to look AT it.

Never mind. My modified eye sees clearly and the new lens has made me realise how white pure white actually is. Not the rosy cream colour I still see with my other eye. An eye that will have to be dealt with when the trauma of this has subsided. What a brilliantly clever surgeon that Mr Alistair Laidlaw is. And dishy too! Just hope he concentrated on looking solely into my eye and didn't take in the unbecoming back-fastening robe, the tight white socks, and the unflattering mob cap I was obliged to be togged up in.